BRISBANE, Queensland, Aug. 21 -- The Queensland Department of the Premier and Cabinet issued text of the following statement:
Minister for the Environment and Tourism and Minister for Science and Innovation
The Honourable Andrew Powell
* The Crisafulli Government is delivering the next stage of theWangettiTrail with construction now underway on the Ellis Beach toWangettisection.
* The 94-kilometreWangettiTrail from Palm Cove to Port Douglas will be delivered as part of the Crisafulli Government's long-term tourism planDestination 2045.
* Cairns-based trail specialists World Trail have been appointed to deliver the next stage, bringing local expertise to this major tourism project.
* TheCrisafulli Government isdelivering better services through a stronger economy andgetting the project moving after years of delays, costblowoutsand lost community confidence under Labor.
The Crisafulli Government is delivering itsDestination 2045vision, with construction now underway on the next stage of theWangettiTrail in Tropical North Queensland.
Destination 2045is about building the tourism experiences that will attract more visitors, encourage them to stay longer and drive jobs and investment in Queensland's regions.
The94-kilometreWangettiTrail will be a major addition to Queensland's ecotourism offering, helping cement Tropical North Queensland as aworld-classdestination for adventure and nature-based tourism.
Cairns-based trail design and construction specialists World Trail has been appointed principal contractor for the Ellis Beach toWangettisection, bringing proven localexpertiseto the delivery of this major tourism experience.
Backed by more than $31 million from the Crisafulli Government, construction of Stage 2 will extend the trail's spectacular coastal and rainforest journey, building on the Palm Cove to Ellis Beach section which opened in September 2024.
That first section has already attracted more than 19,000 visitors, demonstrating the strong demand for high-quality nature-based tourism experiences in Tropical North Queensland.
The Ellis Beach toWangettisection will include approximately 22 kilometres of dual-use trails, bridges and boardwalks, suspension bridges and a public campground catering for up to 20 campers.
TheWangettiTrail will deliver a 94-kilometre adventure experience from Palm Cove to Port Douglas.
Since coming to Government, the Crisafulli Government hastaken action to resetthe project and get it moving:
* The project team has been moved from Brisbane to be based in Cairns, bringing decision-making closer to the community and the people who know the region best.
* Responsibility for delivery has moved to the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service, putting the project with the agency responsible for managing Queensland's national parks and protected areas.
After years of delays and budget blowouts under the former Labor Government, the Crisafulli Government isdelivering better services through a stronger economygetting theWangettiTrail back on track and getting on with the job of delivering it.
Ministerfor the Environment and TourismAndrew Powell said the start of construction was another example of the Crisafulli Government turning around projects that had been allowed to drift under Labor.
"TheWangettiTrail is a great example of the difference a change of Government can make," said Minister Powell
"Labor had years to deliver theWangettiTrail, but instead left behind delays, costblowoutsand a loss of community confidence.
"We came to Government, changed the way the project was being delivered, moved the team toCairnsand got it back on track.
"Now construction is underway - this is what delivery looks like."
Member for Cook David Kempton said the investment would deliver lasting benefits for the local community.
"This is a significant investment in the Cook electorate and one that will deliver benefits for our local community for years to come," Mr Kempton said.
"The Wangetti Trail will provide greater connectivity for tourists and offer a wider range of experiences to visitors to the iconic Douglas and Daintree region."
Member for Barron River Bree James said having localexpertiseinvolved in delivery was a great outcome for the region.
"Having Cairns-based World Trail delivering the next stage is a great outcome for our region and brings proven local expertise to the project," Ms James said.
"They know our trails, our landscape and what makesFarNorth Queensland such a special place to visit.
"TheWangettiTrail will build on the success of the first section and strengthen Cairns' reputation as a world-class destination for adventure tourism."
World Trail founders Glen Jacobs and Dylan Jeffries said the company was proud to have been selected to deliver the next stage of theWangettiTrail.
"This project is already capturing the imagination of walkers and mountain bikers across Australia and beyond,"Mr Jacobssaid.
"As a Cairns-based company, it's especially rewarding to contribute our local expertise to a new trail experience that showcases the extraordinary natural beauty of Tropical North Queensland."
Tourism Tropical North Queensland CEO Mark Olsen welcomed the news that constructionwas underway ontheWangettiTrail's next stage.
"TheWangettiTrail is a wonderful addition to our region's tourism offerings, providing visitors with a unique way to experience the natural beauty of Tropical North Queensland while supporting sustainable tourism growth," Mr Olsen said.
"The trail is a prime example of how ecotourism can drive economic growth while preserving and celebrating the environment and is an exciting development for our state's tourism industry."
ENDS
MEDIA CONTACT:Ruth McCosker,0406 331 114
Disclaimer: Curated by HT Syndication.